Wednesday 28 July 2010

U2/UDK- Building 01

I looked at a few ways for trying to map out the space for this level. I don't want to to be down about the plan but i am not sure how far i will get into this so i am going to do it one building at a time.

I played through the level and decided the best place to start was the main street section (after the bit where you get chased by the truck).

I am pretty sure i will not follow this level too faithfully as i want to explore what UDK can do and U2 was not made in UDK and was optimised for PS3. Also i want to source my own texture ref if possible and i don't live in Nepal.

I looked into ways to capture footage and screens from the level but anything HD based seem to be pretty expensive so i ended up taking photos of my TV (really). Using the character as a scale ref i have started piecing together something that should look about right proportionately as a block out.

Here is a comp of the first building i will be looking at (taken from U2)



Here is  my Comp of the ground floor using the Nathan Drake as Scale ref. I was careful to try and keep him on the same plane so that the objects behind him in every scene would be proportionately similar. This is all a bit of a guess though.


For this to translate to UDK i think i need to look at making this fit the a grid system (i suspect this was not originally built this way). I know UDK likes modularity and much of what is in the level is repeated so it is possible i am sure. The extent to which i do this will depend on the model and possibly my own laziness.

Anyway on to the blockout

No comments:

Post a Comment