Thursday 29 July 2010

U2/UDK - Blockout

I have put together a collage of some of the main features of building 01 to highlight the challenges i will face in UDK


I compared and scaled the previous composition (using Nathan Drake) against a UT3 character to get a relative scale comparison for UDK. I also compared the UT3 model against the UDK 3rd person model and realised  that the characters were not the same size. I ended up scaling up the UT3 character in Maya to 1.2 to compensate for the difference. This is the mesh that I then used to measure out (not too scientifically) how big the first building should be. Of course ultimately this will only be validated when we play the map but it is a good ball park!


Based on this I made the first stab at a block out mesh. I used the grid system in Maya and resticted it 8 units so that it should be able to be  buit ultimatley as static meshing combined   ( although I am still not totally convinced as to how far you should go with this approach). All the seperate components are represented by basic building blocks.


Now to get it in UDK to check it doesn't look wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment